The Government provided funding to all schools to improve the provision of Physical Education and Sport in Primary Schools for the first time in 2013/14. Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.
For example, the funding can be used to:
- hire specialist PE teachers
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools
We have recently been advised that we have received a Bronze School Games Mark Award for 2017/18. This reflects many aspects of our sports provision.
Over the past year at Offwell we have been delighted to see the impact of our spending on improving our children’s skills and their opportunities to participate. The total amount of Sports Grant received in the financial year 2018 – 2019 was £16,800. See the link for full details of where the money went.